Learn to Climb Level 1 (NICAS)
The National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme
The National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme (NICAS) is a UK wide scheme designed to promote climbing development and accredit individual achievement on artificial climbing walls.
Level 1 Foundation Climber
This is the entry level for candidates who wish to learn basic climbing skills. This level focuses on a safety conscious attitude as much as climbing skills. It is designed to be achievable by any climber with aptitude whilst remaining under the supervision of an instructor at all times.
This course is a great starting point for people wishing to take up climbing.
Min age 8. No experience necessary. Please wear loose sports clothing. Payment required to secure a place, together with completed registration form.
The Level 1 course consists of 5 x 90 minute sessions. In order to succeed in this course, it is recommended that you attend all five dates:
- Saturdays: 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th May and 1st June 1.30pm - 3pm. Course tutor: TBC
- Sundays: 4th, 11th, 18th and 25th August, 1st September 10.30am - 12pm. Course tutor: TBC
Maximum group size
Min age 8. No experience necessary. Please wear loose sports clothing. Payment required to secure a place, together with a completed Individual Consent Form
- To develop climbing movement skills and improve levels of ability.
- Learn about safe use of climbing equipment.
- Gain awareness of safety rules and hazards.
- Learn how tie a figure of 8 knot.
- Be able climb and descend from a route correctly.
- Belay other climbers under supervision
Typical session structure
90 minute physical activity based around the learning outcomes above
What to wear
- Sensible footwear that is appropriate to the activity
- Jogging Bottoms or leggings, no jeans.
The calendar below shows the availability and details of your chosen course sessions. Click a session to find out more, or click "Book now" to start your booking.
- Green = Good availability
- Orange = Almost gone
- Red = Sold out