Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding
This is a British Canoeing course designed to appeal to anyone wanting to gain more knowledge and practical skills for Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP). Both coaches and paddlers are welcome to attend this course as an introduction to a great new paddling discipline.
The course introduces and explains the basic techniques and develops an understanding of SUP. The course is a mix of theory but mostly practical activity to ensure everyone has time to try things out. A verity of boards and blades will be available to sample. Core skills in paddlesport are re-visited and applied to an exciting new craft.
- Provide a background to the various disciplines within SUP.
- Introduce different types of equipment including the issues of equipment design, size and modification to suit all individual requirements.
- Introduce and develop the knowledge of SUP specific techniques and tactics
- Explore some SUP safety and rescue specifics
When is it?
Saturday 21st April 9.30am to 4.30pm. Course tutor: Andy Oughton
Maximum group size
Coaches wishing to attend the Stand Up Paddlesport Support Module are required to register with British Canoeing before they are able to attend the course.
advisable to do this at least 2-weeks prior to the training course
At the point of registration the following prerequisites are required:
£17.50 Registration Fee for British Canoeing members (£25.00 non members)
A British Canoeing Coaching Qualification
By the end of this module participants should be able to:
- Understand the world wide development of the sport and the role of the various bodies on the field - British Canoeing, ASI, BSUPA, Sport England and AALS
- Understand equipment design and its application to SUP paddlesport.
- Be able to discuss the different activities that take place on an SUP.
- Understand the different types of board available, their characteristics and the different techniques used on them.
- Be able to deliver practical activities to enhance candidate’s learning and understanding of handling an SUP efficiently.
- Demonstrate candidate centred learning and application of knowledge appropriate to the coaching of an SUP paddler.
Typical session structure
What to wear
The calendar below shows the availability and details of your chosen course sessions. Click a session to find out more, or click "Book now" to start your booking.
- Green = Good availability
- Orange = Almost gone
- Red = Sold out