British Canoeing FSRT
Foundation Safety and Rescue Training
- Saturday 3rd November 2018, 9:00am to 5:30pm. Course Tutor: Katy Groom
- Sunday 7th April 2019, 9:00am to 5:30pm. Course Tutor: David Robinson
Limited spaces available, click below to secure a place.
This training course aims to provide paddlers with the key safety and rescue skills required to operate safely and to be able to deal with common emergencies. These skills form the foundations for safety and rescue throughout British Canoeing qualifications.
The award has two purposes:
- To provide the paddler with the necessary skills which will enable them to ensure the safety of themselves and others
- To provide the paddler with the appropriate rescue skills which can be used to help themselves and/or others in difficulty
Maximum group size
To do the Boat Based Course the candidate must have their 2 Star Award or be of that ability. Bank based participants will not need the 2 Star Award however they would be required to at least participate in all relevant aspects of the course. Candidates will need to be able to swim in normal suitable clothing. Min Age 14. If you are planning on taking the course as a bank based candidate please let us know in advance, you may still be expected to take part in water activities such as rescues.
Payment required to secure a place, together with completed registration form. Further to the courses fee, candidates will be required to pay a certification fee. This is paid to LOPC at the end of the course and we then pay British Canoeing directly. This fee is currently £5 for BCU members and £10 for non members as of January 2018.
The objective of this training course is to teach simple and safe skills that can provide the tools to problem solve simple common paddling scenarios in flat/sheltered water regardless of the craft.
Candidates will learn:
- Skills which will enable them to ensure the safety of themselves and others
- Appropriate rescue skills which can be used to help themselves and/or others in difficulty
For more information on the content covered please read the Syllabus.
The FRST is also
a pre-requisite of the BC Paddlesport Instructor Award.
The calendar below shows the availability and details of your chosen course sessions. Click a session to find out more, or click "Book now" to start your booking.
- Green = Good availability
- Orange = Almost gone
- Red = Sold out