Kayak Rolling Clinic - Swimming Pool
This course is designed specifically to get you able to roll a kayak. Rolling a kayak can be quite a complex manoeuvre made even more difficult by having to perform it underwater. Therefore we have put together a course that will be purely focused on getting you to roll a kayak.
The course is a series of four 60 minute swimming pool sessions based at New Parks Leisure Centre, where you'll be in a calmer environment and be more able to learn the techniques needed to roll. You then have the option to progress to our River Roll Clinic to convert your skills on to open water.
- 1st, 8th, 16th and 22nd February 2019 7:30pm to 8:30pm. Course tutor: TBC
- 5th. 12th, and 26th April 2019 7:30pm to 8:30pm. Aprils course is only 3 sessions and the price is £60. Course tutor: TBC
- 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th June 2019 7:30pm to 8:30pm. Course tutor: TBC
- 2nd, 9th, 16th and 23rd August 2019 7:30pm to 8:30pm. Course tutor: TBC
- 4th, 11th, 18th and 25th October 2019 7:30pm to 8:30pm. Course tutor: TBC
Maximum group size
We would like to open this course to nearly all abilities. It could be you have never been taught to roll, never tried, you used to be able to roll and now you can't or even if you can roll but think it needs improving or want to learn other ways to roll. A good indicator if this course is appropriate for you is you should about a two star level.
Please note this is not a course for beginners as the skills involved are of an intermediate level, it will be assumed you can already do things such as manoeuvre the boat accurately to where you want it and also hold an edge and lean the boat over with a degree of control.
We will try and tailor the course to your abilities; here is an example of some of the things we will be looking at as part of the course.
* Support strokes (preventing the need to do a roll and ties in to rolling)
* Correct body positioning
* Keeping the blade at the surface of the water
* Hip flicks
* Hand rolling
* C to C Roll
* Setting up under water
* Sweep rolls
* Back Deck rolls
* Rolling in moving water
We run the course on 1:3 ratio, this is to give you that individual personal tuition needed to get to grips with this complex skill.
A boat will be reserved for you at the swimming pool, however you may bring your own providing it is suitably clean. Having your own kayak maybe preferable if the kayaks at the pool aren't as good fit or don't lend themselves to your paddling style.
The calendar below shows the availability and details of your chosen course sessions. Click a session to find out more, or click "Book now" to start your booking.
- Green = Good availability
- Orange = Almost gone
- Red = Sold out